Teachers are responsible for shaping the lives of the new generation, which makes this field a very satisfying and rewarding career choice. Therefore, more than 3.1 million people select teaching as their profession and choose a teachers program that suits their needs.
However, the education sector offers numerous career opportunities, allowing individuals with education degrees to influence others differently.
Different Career Paths in Education
People can choose various career paths in education, depending on their skills and interests.
Teaching is primarily the first career choice after acquiring a degree in education. These individuals identify and polish each student’s talents to help them reach their full potential. Teachers can offer services in preschool, elementary, middle, or high school, depending on their interests and education level.
They are traditionally responsible for creating a systematic plan to teach the curriculum and test students’ knowledge. Analyzing the tests, communicating with parents, creating rules, and reinforcing them are also part of the job description.
- For a preschool teacher: The position requires a certificate in the teachers’ program and a bachelor’s degree in education.
- For elementary school teachers: The post requires a bachelor’s degree in elementary education, an internship, and a state license/certificate.
- For middle school teachers: The position requires a bachelor’s degree, certification of teachers program, and previous teaching experience.
- For high school teachers: This job post requires a bachelor’s degree in a specific subject, teaching experience, and a teaching license.
- For college professors: The post requires a doctorate in the selected field, teaching experience, and postdoctoral research.
Education administration revolves around leadership roles, such as vice principal, principal, superintendent, and program director. An education administrator is responsible for deciding the curriculum, hiring staff, and creating rules for students and teachers. They also have to make the budget according to salaries and extracurricular programs.
An education administrator must have these qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in education
- Master’s degree in education administration and leadership
- Teaching license or certificate
- Teaching experience
- Principal certificate
A school counselor works with students to promote their social and emotional development. They also help students make career choices and manage academic issues. Therefore, counselors have one-on-one sessions to hear students’ concerns and problems.
School counselor qualification requirements are:
- Master’s degree in school counseling
- Internship experience
- State-issued license to practice
Librarians play an important role in the student learning experience. They facilitate students in research projects, assignments, and exam preparation by pointing out the right study material. Updating the library inventory is another responsibility of these individuals.
A librarian must have these qualifications:
- Master’s degree in library science from American Library Association (ALA) accredited institute
- Library internship experience
- State-license or certificate
School Social Worker
A school social worker is a trained mental health professional that helps students deal with behavior problems, mental health issues, and emotional distress. School authorities hire social workers to help students accomplish their academic goals and reduce violence and negative behavior.
School social workers need to have these qualifications:
- Master’s in social work
- A passing grade in the State examination
- License or certificate of social worker
Required Skills for Working in Education
Individuals must hold a particular skillset to work in the education field, which consists of the following:
Communication is one of the necessary skills for individuals working in the education sector. This skill is essential for teachers, school social workers, counselors, and administrators, so they can effectively convey their message to the students.
Since every person learns at a different pace, workers in the education industry need to treat every student with patience. This skill helps individuals to stay calm in distressing situations and find the solution without losing their temper.
Working with learners demands dedication and motivation. Therefore, individuals seeking a career in education need steadfast commitment to keep up their energy levels without getting discouraged.
As students spend a lot of time in close quarters with each other, it is common for conflicts to appear. School workers must know how to quickly handle and resolve a dispute without showing a biased attitude.
Organizational skills are essential for individuals in the education sector. Teachers need managerial skills to create and implement lessons and test the students’ knowledge. School administrators must also plan, organize, and implement methodological techniques to run the educational institute effectively. Similarly, librarians must also have this quality to create a systemized arrangement.
Education is a vast field with career options, including education administrators, school counselors, social workers, and librarians. However, each post requires a different qualification level and skillset to fulfill the role successfully. Therefore, any individual looking to pursue a career in education must sign up for a suitable training program to begin their journey.