Your resume is a critical component of the job search process that helps the applicant grab an employer’s attention, increasing their probability of selection. As such, job seekers must realize the necessity and power of the resume. Therefore, applicants must learn ways to make their resume catchy and unique so that it can stand out from the crowd.
A well-summarized resume depicts your background, skills, education, strength, and professional experience (if any). As such, the applicants need to create a well-structured and attractive resume. Since there are many layers to writing the perfect resume, it is best to seek an online service that can help you execute your task to perfection. However, several services available at your fingertips and reading through resume writing services reviews may be beneficial to decide on the best service for you. Since each portal’s cost and quality are different, you can examine each writing services for their pros and cons and choose one as per your requirement after comparing and analyzing them. By thoroughly understanding the job description’s essence, one must submit their perfectly-made resume while applying for the job.
Individuals looking to write their resume from scratch or updating their old one to apply for a new job may be unaware of the basic dos and don’ts of crafting a resume. Creating a laudable resume requires some unique tips. Here are some of them.
1) Address employers’ needs
Employers’ needs vary according to the position of vacancy, level of authority, number of subordinates, and other factors. Therefore, the applicants must present a tailor-made resume addressing all the employer’s needs and explain why they are a perfect fit for the post. The employer is more likely to consider such resume’s at the time of shortlisting, which increases the possibility of selection.
2) Include relevant information
While applying for the job, applicants tend to be over descriptive and can miss vital information on their submission. Instead of copy-pasting your general resume, it is best to include the relevant details. Some of the must-include information are:
- Personal information: Basic information such as your name, contact number, address, e-mail address, and website.
- Educational background: Details regarding academic institutions you enrolled in, courses taken, qualifications gained, and other academic achievements.
- Work experience: Employment history, prime duties, and responsibilities associated with each role, especially those roles and tasks that are related to the job that you’re applying for.
- Competency: Explain about your competency and how you can efficiently use your skills, giving specific examples. But be concise and don’t show off your irrelevant skills.
- Personal statement: Write a well-structured and logical explanation of why you’re the best fit for the job.
3) STAR technique
The STAR technique is an effective method of keeping your resume concise and yet completely informative. While writing about any real-life example, using the points below ensures your resume is full of required details.
- Situation: Your job/role at the previous position, including main responsibilities
- Task: What problem did you solve?
- Action: What actions did you take? Did you solve the problem by yourself or as a team?
- Result: How did you add value and achieve goals? Include the value you brought to the company, use numbers and quantifiable results.
4) Tailor your resume
Applicants may be tempted to send the same resume for all the jobs, which is not an appropriate practice. Each resume that you send out should be relevant to the job description and specific to a particular job. Write about the skills you possess and how they are relevant to the job.
5) Use keywords
Before applying for any position, applicants must go through the description thoroughly to find out the relevant keywords that relate to traits, skills, and experience. You should include such keywords throughout the resume as the initial shortlisting is often done by using HR software that screen for the use of such keywords.
- Include soft and hard skills mentioned in the job description
- Start you bullet points with power verbs e.g. delivered, achieved, inspired, and transformed
6) Include hobbies
Putting your hobbies and interests in your resume demonstrates your good qualities and culture to the employer. However, make sure to use only relevant and productive hobbies. Mentioning insignificant pastime habits won’t do your resume any good. Instead, make sure to mention hobbies that show your creativity, productivity, and your consistency.
7) Perfect grammar
Apart from other factors, it is crucial to write a resume and cover letter that comprises perfect grammar.
8) Final check before submission
After spending hours, it may feel like you’ve written a masterpiece. But you may still have some flaws in your resume and cover letter. It is best to check them thoroughly before submitting it to the employer. You may also want someone else, such as a friend or a mentor to look it over and correct the grammatical errors.
Job searching can be an arduous and lengthy process for job seekers. If done incorrectly, applicants may find themselves without a job for a very long time. Resume is the first steps towards finding employment, and answering the interview questions of recruiters is the last. Hence, job seekers must learn unique ways to master their resume and make a good impression on the first go. Attaching a generic resume is unlikely to make a lasting impression on the employer. So, it is of utmost importance to apply the tips mentioned before to make your resume as appealing and convincing as possible.